The penny stock oil and gas universe is comprised of small companies involved in the exploration, extraction, refining, and transportation of oil and gas products. These stocks generally trade below $ 5 per share. The oil and gas industry also includes companies that provide well drilling and maintenance services. Some examples of these penny stocks include Kosmos Energy Ltd. (KOS), Abraxas Petroleum Corp. (AXAS), and Falcon Minerals Corp. (FLMN).
Oil and gas penny stocks are generally represented by the Invesco S&P SmallCap Energy ETF (PSCE), although the fund includes many micro- and small-cap stocks that are not considered penny stocks. PSCE has dramatically outperformed the broader market with a 113.5% total return over the past 12 months, more than triple the 34.3% total return of the iShares Russell 1000 ETF (IWB). These market performance numbers and all statistics in the tables below are as of September 14, 2021.
Here are the top 3 oil and gas penny stocks with the best value, the fastest growth, and the most momentum.
These are the oil and gas penny stocks with the lowest price-earnings (P / E) ratio in the last 12 months. Because profits can be returned to shareholders in the form of dividends and buybacks, a low P / E ratio shows that you are paying less for every dollar of profit generated.
|Best value oil and gas penny stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($ B)||Final 12-month P / E ratio|
|Baytex Energy Corp. (BTE.TO)||CA $ 2.57||CA $ 1.5||1.2|
|Cresent Point Energy Corp. (CPG.TO)||CA $ 4.92||CA $ 2.9||1.4|
|NuVista Energy Ltd. (NVA.TO)||CA $ 4.12||CA $ 0.9||1.4|
- Baytex Energy Corp .: Baytex Energy is a Canadian-based oil and gas company. It focuses on the acquisition, development and production of crude oil and natural gas in both Canada and the US.
- Crescent Point Energy Corp .: Crescent Point Energy is a Canadian-based oil and gas exploration, development and production company. Its assets consist of natural gas and light and medium oil reserves throughout western Canada and the U.S. The company recently announced that it will increase its quarterly dividend in the fourth quarter to CA $ 0.03 ($ 0.02) per share from CA $ 0.0025 per share in the third quarter. .
- NuVista Energy Ltd .: NuVista Energy is a Canadian-based exploration and production (E&P) company. The company explores and develops oil and natural gas properties.
Here are the top oil and gas stocks ranked by a growth model that rates companies based on a 50/50 weighting of their most recent quarterly year-on-year percentage revenue growth and their quarterly earnings per share (EPS) growth. most recent quarterly. Both sales and profits are critical factors for the success of a business. Therefore, ranking companies by a single growth metric makes a ranking susceptible to accounting anomalies from that quarter (such as changes in tax law or restructuring costs) that can make one or the other figure unrepresentative. of the business in general. Companies with quarterly EPS or revenue growth greater than 2,500% were excluded as outliers.
|Fastest Growing Oil and Gas Penny Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($ B)||EPS growth (%)||Revenue growth (%)|
|Spartan Delta Corp. (SDE.TO)||CA $ 4.68||CA $ 0.7||-85.2||716.5|
|Contango Oil & Gas Co. (MCF)||3.84||0.8||N / A (see company description)||368.8|
|Tamarack Valley Energy Ltd. (TVE.TO)||CA $ 2.71||CA $ 1.1||N / A (see company description)||359.3|
- Spartan Delta Corp .: Spartan Delta is a Canadian-based oil and gas company engaged in the exploration, development and production of oil and natural gas properties in Western Canada. The company announced in late August that it had completed its previously announced acquisition of Velvet Energy Ltd., a privately owned light oil producer, for CA $ 751.5 million ($ 592.1 million).
- Contango Oil & Gas Co.: Contango Oil & Gas is an oil and gas exploration and production company. Explore and develop oil and natural gas properties, including offshore properties. The company recently announced that it completed the acquisition of gas assets in Wyoming’s Wind River Basin from ConocoPhillips (COP) for $ 67 million. Because the company posted a net loss for the most recent quarter, an EPS growth rate could not be calculated for the table above.
- Tamarack Valley Energy Ltd .: Tamarack Valley Energy is a Canadian-based oil and natural gas company. The company owns light oil and natural gas properties in western Canada. Because the company’s EPS went from negative in the prior-year quarter to positive in the most recent quarter, an EPS growth rate could not be calculated for the table above.
These are the oil and gas penny stocks that had the highest total return in the past 12 months.
|Oil and gas penny stocks with greater momentum|
|Price ($)||Market capitalization ($ M)||Total return at 12 months (%)|
|Cardinal Energy Ltd. (CJ.TO)||CA $ 3.61||CA $ 542.6||644.3|
|NuVista Energy Ltd. (NVA.TO)||CA $ 4.12||CA $ 932.2||488.6|
|TETRA Technologies Inc. (TTI)||3.18||402.6||481.9|
|iShares Russell 1000 ETF (IWB)||N / A||N / A||34.3|
|Invesco S&P SmallCap Energy ETF (PSCE)||N / A||N / A||113.5|
- Cardinal Energy Ltd .: Cardinal Energy is a Canadian-based exploration and production company that produces crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquids (NGL). The company announced in mid-July that it had completed its acquisition of Venturion Oil Ltd. The agreement to acquire Venturion was first announced in early June at a total purchase price of Cdn $ 47.5 million ($ 37.4 million).
- NuVista Energy Ltd .: See above for company description.
- TETRA Technologies Inc .: TETRA Technologies is an oil and gas services company. Provides completion fluids and associated products and services, water management, production well testing, offshore cooling, filtration services, and more.
The comments, opinions and analysis expressed in this document are for informational purposes only and should not be considered individual investment advice or recommendations to invest in any security or adopt an investment strategy. While we believe that the information provided in this document is reliable, we do not guarantee its accuracy or completeness. The opinions and strategies described in our content may not be suitable for all investors. Because market and economic conditions are subject to rapid change, all comments, opinions and analysis included in our content are presented on the date of publication and may change without notice. The material is not intended to be a complete analysis of all material facts relating to any country, region, market, industry, investment, or strategy.
Investopedia requires writers to use primary sources to support their work. These include white papers, government data, original reports, and interviews with industry experts. We also reference original research from other reputable publishers where appropriate. You can learn more about the standards we follow to produce accurate and unbiased content at our
YCharts. “Financial data. “Accessed September 14, 2021.
XE.com Inc. “1 CAD to USD – Convert Canadian dollars to US dollars. “Accessed September 14, 2021.
Crescent Point Energy Corp. “Crescent Point Increases Fourth Quarter Dividend and Announces Preliminary Outlook for 2022. “Accessed September 14, 2021.
Spartan Delta Corp. “SPARTAN DELTA CORP. ANNOUNCES THE CLOSING OF THE PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED ACQUISITION AND FINANCING, THREE-YEAR PLAN AND INAUGURAL ESG REPORT, “Page 1. Accessed September 14, 2021.
Contango Oil & Gas Co. “CONTANGO COMPLETES THE ACQUISITION OF WIND RIVER BASIN ASSETS. “Accessed September 14, 2021.
Contango Oil & Gas Co. “CONTANGO ANNOUNCES THE UPDATE OF THE CAPITAL AND FINANCIAL RESULTS PROGRAM FOR THE SECOND QUARTER OF 2021. “Accessed September 14, 2021.
Tamarack Valley Energy Ltd. “Tamarack Valley Energy Ltd. Announces Second Quarter Financial Results, Operational Update and Executive Changes, “Page 3. Accessed September 14, 2021.
Cardinal Energy Ltd. “CARDINAL ENERGY LTD. ANNOUNCES THE CLOSING OF THE ACQUISITION, “Page 1. Accessed September 14, 2021.
Cardinal Energy Ltd. “CARDINAL ENERGY LTD. ANNOUNCES STRATEGIC ACQUISITION, “Page 1. Accessed September 14, 2021.